‘Barefaced Liar’s album nestles in this enchanting, almost impeccable soundscape which has this crystal clarity about it.’
- Rolling Stone India
Barefaced Liar (BFL) is a modern rock band from New Delhi, India.
In 2008, two high school friends Akshay Chowdhry and Sumant Balakrishnan (Bala) brought together by their love for rock music decided to take their original music to the stage. Since then, they went on to play at some of the biggest festivals in India at the time, including The Great Indian Rock Festival, Bacardi NH7 Weekender, Escape Festival, Gig Week to name a few.
5 years after the release of their debut album, Delhi based modern rock outfit Barefaced Liar is back with their new single ‘Mind Over Matter’ from their upcoming sophomore effort slated for a September release. The single will be released exclusively on Pepsi MTV Indies starting today till September 1st, 2015.
Akshay Chowdhry and Sumant Balakrishnan (Bala) started writing for their second album in 2012. There was lengthy period of pre-production and refining of the new material, which culminated in a recording session in late 2013 with New Zealand based producer Zorran Mendonsa, who also helmed production duties on their first self-titled release.
The single ‘Mind Over Matter’, like the rest of the album, showcases a more accessible approach to writing songs while staying true to the band’s core sound. “The song has a very modern edge to its soundscape with driving guitars, synth layers and a solid rhythm section laid over an infectious delay guitar riff and the chorus is guaranteed to get stuck in your head,” states Bala.
Akshay joins in to add, “Mind Over Matter has simple lyrics that anyone can relate to. The over-arching thought behind the song is to let go of your fears and embrace the unknown”.
The contemporary production values of the album were enhanced by Jens Bogren of Fascination Street, Sweden who has also mastered albums by Devin Townsend, Opeth, Marty Friedman to name a few.
Inspired by some of the most influential bands including The Beatles, Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd, bands whose sound evolved from album to album, Barefaced Liar has managed to seamlessly traverse through genres ranging from blues to classic rock to heavy metal, drawing inspiration from all of them to craft their own unique, individual sound.
Describing the sound of the brand new album, Akshay states, “The album takes a pop-oriented direction as we wanted it to be more accessible and less niche. People can expect the same trademark vocal harmonies, riffs and guitar solos but it’s definitely not as indulgent as the first album.”
1. NH7 Weekender Festival Pune 2010 and Delhi 2012
2. A 5-city debut album launch tour sponsored by OML - Delhi, Mumbai, Bangalore, Pune,
Hyderabad with Hard Rock Café (2010)
3. Commonwealth Games Youth Festival (2010)
4. Harley Davidson Rock Riders 2012
5. Gigweek Headliners 2011/12
6. Friends Of Music (FOM) at Zorba, New Delhi 2013
7. SAARC bands festival at Purana Qila. 2013
8. Kasauli Rhythm and Blues Festival 2015
They have also been recipients of many awards and accolades, including
1. Semi-finalists for the worldwide UK Song Writers Competition (2009 & 2010) for their tracks Glow and Mirage respectively
2. Winners of ‘Sea Rock’ in Bits Pilani, Goa (2008)
3. Won the Ibibo ‘Rising Rockstars’ Contest (2009) resulting in sponsorship to record their debut album
4. Runners up in the Hit 95 FM Santana Challenge (2008)
5. 'Best Guitar Players’: IIT Roorkee (2008) and IIM Lucknow (2009)